Monday, November 17, 2008

Two Year's Ago & One big Wish

Two years ago today, Drew was diagnosed with eye cancer. This was the day that changed our lives forever. It is hard to believe he has been battling this disease for two years. He has been so tough and so resiliant. We are so proud of him. I took him to get a haircut (yes it is actually long enough to cut again), and he was sitting there on the chair swinging his legs like any other kid. He looked up at me and said, "Mommy, I got cancer. I go to the hospital and they poke me in the port. They give me medicine and I knock the cancer right off." He said it so matter of fact, like it is so normal to have cancer. What an amazing kid to endure so much and yet still be so happy.

He deserves something special for all he is going through - and there is an organization that believes this too. On Thursday, we got some amazing news. Almost two years after his diagnosis, they Make A Wish Foundation has contacted us and would like to grant Drew a wish. Within the next week, a Wish Team will contact us to set up a time to interview Drew. They have asked us not to give him any ideas of what to wish for, but to allow them to formulate a wish that he wants. They will do some interactive play with him asking him four questions "I wish to have, I wish to be, I will to go and I wish to meet". Based on how Drew's answers these questions, the wish granters will create an unforgettable experience driven by the Drew's creativity. We will update everyone when we know more, but wanted to share this exciting news.

No comments: