As most of you know our son Drew was diagnosed with Retinoblastoma (eye cancer) at 9 months old. Fast forward four years – 6 repeat occurrences – and we still continue the battle. Our hope is one day Drew will be a proud card carrying member of the “Cancer Survivor Club”. As of today, Drew's cancer is back. We will continue to fight for him. The doctors remind us each visit this is a marathon not a sprint.
Support is what gets each cancer family through the roller coaster ride. Many of you have walked/ran with us on this journey, and have seen the highs of the highs, and the lows of the lows. Today we are asking you to continue your support of Drew’s cancer journey, by lacing up your shoes, because it is "Time to Fly"!
This year Team Drew turns four. We are excited for another fun day full of friends and family rallying together to move the pendulum forward for childhood cancer. Last year Team Drew had over 120 team member and an additional 150 spirit runners. We were able to raise over $15,000 for the Children's Cancer Research Fund. These funds raised go directly to cutting edge research at the U of M to help eliminate not only Drew's type of cancer, but many other cancers that affect children. (For a recap of last scroll down to the video). This year we hope to exceed that with your help. June 25th is the 9th annual Children's Cancer Fund's Research walk/run fundraiser called "Time to Fly" (details below).
Why should you join us on this year? We could give you a million reasons but here are a few:
1.It is a great event for the entire family. There are games/activities for the kids and friendly competition for the adults.
2. It is a great way to teach kids about helping other kids. In addition, the medals at the end of the Kid's Fun run are a huge hit. Every kid comes in first place:)
3. You will make a significant impact in a child's life.
4. The gift cards raised through Team Drew will be used to donate toys to kids on the cancer floor at Christmas time. Last year over 40 gifts were donated on behalf of Team Drew.
5. Being a part of the sea of blue Team Drew t-shirts that day is an amazing feeling.
If you are not excited already here are some extra incentives to join the team or become a spirit runner (anyone who donates).
• All walkers and runners will receive a complementary Team Drew t-shirt, if they do not already have one.
• First male and female to cross the finish line in the 5K will each be awarded a $25 VISA gift card.
• First male and female to cross the finish line in the 10K will each be awarded a $25 VISA gift card.
• All walkers will be entered to win a $25 VISA gift card.
Anyone who donates:
• For every person that donates $75 or more your name will be entered in a drawing for one of two sets of 2010 Twins.
• For every $100 each person donates by June 15th your name will be entered in the drawing for a Joe Mauer autographed bat (actual size). If Joe's got time, you've got time!
• All kid will receive a complementary Team Drew t-shirt if they do not already have one.
• All kids registered to run will be entered in a drawing to win 2 Nickelodeon Park passes at the MOA.
• All kids registered to run will be entered in a drawing to win 4 tickets to the AMC movie tickets.
• The person who raises the most funds will receive a $100 VISA gift card.
• Each time you raise $500 you will be entered into a drawing for a 32GB iPad with Wi-Fi. Spread the word, one quick email to your friends and family can get you to $500 easily.
Note: In an effort to share the wealth, each individual may win only one prize.
Unavailable to make it:
• Consider being a spirit runner and make a tax deductible donation to Team Drew.
• New this year – Donate that stuff you have laying around the house to the first annual Team Drew garage sale (more information coming soon). Don’t want to store it, let us know and you can drop it off any time at our house. All proceeds with be donated to Team Drew, and anything left over will be donated to a local charity.
Join Team Drew by:
• Go to: http://childrenscancer.org/timetofly/.
• Click on the word REGISTER.
• Type in Team Drew under Team Name: and click the search for a team button/
• Click on Team Drew to launch the team website.
• Scroll down to the list of team member names. At the top of the list click on Join Team.
• Follow the prompts to complete the registration.
• Forward the website to others asking them to support you and Team Drew in our race to end childhood cancer.
• If your company matches donations, fill out the form to double your impact. Remind others to do this as well.
• Consider adding it to your Facebook/Twitter pages to help us spread the word.
10K Run $27 pre-reg/$32 race day reg 7:30 a.m.
* 5K Run $27 pre-reg/$32 race day reg 8:30 a.m.
* 5K Walk $25 pre-reg/$30 race day reg 9:30 a.m.
* Kids' Fun Run $11 pre-reg/$13 race day reg 10:00 a.m.
When asked what The Children's Cancer Research means to us we answer: It is an organization that gives children & families their lives back. Drew wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the hard work and dedication of CCRF, which is supported by great people like you. We would be honored to have you join us in raising awareness and money for this cause.
Please feel free to forward this to friends and family that might be interested in joining the team. Everyone is welcome to join. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
Tony, Heidi, Jack and Drew Giuliani